Tuesday, January 14, 2014

winter helpful hints

It is deep midwinter here in Maine and weeks of below freezing temperatures make the air extremely dry. Bundling up in hats, scarves, mittens and lots of layers can add to the burden of dryness our bodies endure during the winter months.  Here are a few helpful hints for keeping the indoor air and our bodies moist and healthy.

 * Use a squirt of hand or body lotion to soften scratchy sweaters, scarves and mittens. Do not try this with specialty winter gear like goretex etc as it may compromise moisture wicking abilities.  
      I use the hard to get to, last squirt of lotion when I hand wash knitted items by adding water to the near empty bottle of lotion and shaking well to mix. I have added lotion-water to the rinse cycle of the washing machine as well.
   In a dishpan of warm water add just a drop of dish soap or liquid laundry soap and the lotion water and swish to mix. Wash by hand the knitted garments. Rinse with cool water and gently squeeze the water out. Lay the garments on a towel, roll or fold the garment inside. I step on it to squeeze the moisture into the towel. You could wring it without stretching the garments out of shape but I like to use the force of gravity to my advantage when I can. It's dependable. Then lay the damp garment on a drying rack or a dry towel to finish drying.
    The first time I used lotion water, I was given a fine wool sweater that had been mistreated by an unknowing laundress. The garment was stiff, scratchy and unwearable. I soaked it in warm water with about 1/2 cup of lotion for several hours, rinsed with warm water and gently dried it using towels. It was soft again. I know fabric softener is the go to chemistry for making clothes soft but I don't buy fabric softener and I hate to waste that last squirt of lotion. Most fabric softeners contain chemistry harmful to us and the environment. Avoid any lotion, potion or cleanser that contains an artificial scent or has fragrance listed in the ingredients as it is bad chemistry.

 * Hang wet clothes from the washer on drying racks. This saves money by not running the clothes dryer and humidifier. My drying rack is in the bedroom making the air much more comfortable for sleeping and the clothes dry quickly in the winter dry air. A small fan pointed toward the drying rack will help them dry even quicker and you can direct where you want the moist air to go.

* When the temperature outside rises into the 40's, (hurrah for the January thaw) I suggest taking advantage of the increased air temps and moisture. Open a window and let the moist air in.  I open a window a few inches in each bedroom for 5 minutes. Yes, I know I'm letting the heat out but we need fresh air and moisture when we sleep as much as warmth. With the savings from not running the dryer and humidifier all the time, I can spare a little heat in favor of fresh moist air.

 * If you use a kettle to heat water for tea, I suggest you do not leave water in the kettle while it sits idle on the stove top. Metal holds water well, but water will eventually have her way and rust is always the result. Water will eventually eat through enameled metal given enough time.
    After I've poured boiling water for tea, I douse the kitchen sink with the rest. Boiling water is a great antibacterial and it helps to keep the drains clear. Then I set the kettle back on the stove top with the top off or at least ajar so the last of the moisture can evaporate leaving the kettle dry inside.
    Check the inside of your kettle occasionally. I wipe mine out with a dry cloth and check for signs of the enamel coming off and for rust. I can't bear rusty equipment in the kitchen. Metals find their way into our brains and lodge there since the capillaries in our brains are particularly fine.There is much research linking metals with Alzheimer's disease and dementia. 
   
 * It's mid January and most of us have taken our Christmas trees down. If you had a real tree I suggest making Evergreen Floor Wash by collecting 4 cups of the dried evergreen needles and twigs and add them to a gallon of boiling water. Let the needles boil for 5 minutes then turn the heat off and steep for an hour. Strain the needles out and let the water cool. Add a teaspoon of dish soap and mix well.
     I made a gallon of Evergreen Floor Wash for a friend to give as a gift and I've made it for myself. It is particularly good on hard wood and stone tile floors. All evergreens share the same antibacterial properties and they smell really good, much better than Pine Sol. If you cut the tree yourself or are sure the commercial tree was not sprayed with any pesticides, a healthful tea can be made for yourself. Go to my last blog posting for more on Maintaining your Health with Evergreens.

Here's hoping we all enjoy a healthy, safe and comfortable New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment